Grilled Lotus Leaf Chicken
Jam packed with flavor and wrapped in lotus leaf, this beautiful Cantonese chicken dish will not disappoint!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Sauté chicken stuffing
- In a pan, heat up 2 Tbsp oil. Fry red onions, yellow onion, shiitake mushrooms, chopped preserved vegetables and 1 Tbsp soy sauce.
- Fry for 5 minutes, until onions appears translucent and set aside.
Step 2 - Mix aromatics
- In a bowl, add spring onion, ginger, bak kut teh spice powder, 3 Tbsp soy sauce, 2 Tbsp Shaoxing wine, 1 Tbsp oyster sauce and sugar.
- Mix well and set aside.
Step 3 - Stuff chicken with filling and aromatics
- Place stuffing and aromatics into the insides of the chicken.
- Pour the liquid from the aromatics over the chicken.
- Chicken should be evenly coated with sauce.
Step 4 - Wrap chicken with lotus leaves
- Wrap the chicken with one lotus leaf, folding up at the sides like a parcel.
- Flip over and repeat with other two lotus leaves.
- Secure wrapped chicken with a string.
- Steam wrapped chicken for 1 ½ hours.
- After steaming, unwrap the chicken and grill at 240°C for 5 minutes, until golden.
Plate and Serve!
Transfer steamed wrapped chicken to a large plate and unwrap it. Serve hot.