Gula Melaka and Pandan Jelly
This enticing jelly, with beautiful layers of coconut milk, gula melaka and pandan, is the perfect delight for sharing.
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Make pandan juice
- In a blender, toss in 6 fresh pandan leaves and 150 ml water to blend till fine.
Step 2 - Make pandan layer
Using a strainer, strain pandan juice into a small pot.
On medium-low heat, add in 30 g white sugar, pandan essence and 7 g agar-agar powder and bring to boil.You may use any molds of your choice, so be creative with your presentation.
When everything is dissolved, pour into the molds.
Leave to cool and set in the refrigerator for about 10 to 15 minutes.All mixtures should be cooled to a room temperature before pouring into the mold.
Step 3 - Make gula melaka layer
- In another small pot, pour in 400 ml of water, 2 knotted pandan leaves, gula melaka and 7 g agar powder.
- Bring to a boil.
- Once all is dissolved, leave it to cool until room temperature before pouring the mixture on top of the hardened pandan layer. Make sure that the previous layer is completely hardened and set before adding the next layer to have beautifully-defined layers.
Step 4 - Make coconut layer
- In a separate small pot, pour 400 ml of coconut milk, milk, 30 g white sugar, ½ tsp salt and 8 g agar-agar powder.
- Bring to simmer on medium-high heat, stirring until all is dissolved.
- Keep it hot but not boiling while doing this.
- Pour the coconut milk mix over the hardened palm sugar layer, then allow to cool.
- Cover with cling film and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours.
Step 5 - Unmold jelly and garnish
- Line your serving plates with banana leaves and unmold the jelly by gently bringing in the sides, then turning over the molds and tapping the bottom.
Garnish and Serve!
Sprinkle grated coconut and palm sugar on top of jelly and serve cold.