Gulai Ikan Karang
Snapper in Coconut Curry
Gulai Ikan Karang, or curried snapper, is a perfectly grilled fish with a rich creamy coconut curry sauce - absolutely delicious!
Let's start cooking!
Char shallows until slightly charred.
Step 1 - Char shallots
- In a pan on medium-high heat, fry 10 halved shallots until charred.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
Step 2 - Blend rempah (spice paste)
- In a blender, blend charred shallots, 8 large red chilies, 3 chili padi, 1 Tbsp turmeric powder, laksa leaves and sliced ginger until smooth. Use vegetable oil to help you achieve a smooth consistency.
Step 3 - Marinate fish
- Using a knife, score the fish fillets 3 times on each side and pour half of the blended ingredients onto the fish fillets. Coat well and marinate fish for 30 minutes. Score the fish by making incisions through the skin and flesh about 1 to 2 cm deep
Step 4 - Make Curry Sauce
- In a pan on medium-high heat, fry the other ½ of the blended ingredients with 1 smashed lemongrass until fragrant.
- Once fragrant, add 200 ml of water and 1 Tbsp tamarind paste. Simmer on medium heat for 1 minute before adding 400 ml of coconut milk.
Step 5 - Grill Fish
- After marinating, place the fish skin side up on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Grill the fish in the oven on the highest grill setting or 200°C for 10 minutes You can use sea bass, grouper or sea bream instead of snapper
Garnish and serve!
Ladle curry sauce onto your serving dish and gently place the fish on the top of the curry sauce. Garnish the dish with charred shallots and 1 sliced large red chili.