Hainanese Chicken Rice
A popular dish in Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand, this juicy and succulent steamed chicken is always a feast! Here’s an easy recipe for you to recreate this delicious dish at home
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Boil water with spring onion and ginger
- In a big pot, boil 4 L water with spring onions and 20 g ginger slices.
Step 2 - Clean and rub chicken with salt
- Clean the chicken and slice away the fatty parts at the rear end of the chicken. Set aside chicken fat.
- Pat dry and rub the chicken with 1 Tbsp salt then rinse the chicken under running water to remove excess salt.
Step 3 -Add chicken to water
- To the pot of boiling water, add chicken breast-side up. Leave the pot covered on the stove on medium heat, for about 45 to 50 minutes.
Step 4 - Make chili sauce
- With a blender, blend large red chili, chili padi, 8 cloves garlic, 10 g ginger, 2 Tbsp chicken stock, 1 Tbsp white vinegar, 2 Tsp sugar and 4 Tbsp water. Set aside.
Step 5 - Make ginger garlic sauce and soy sauce
In a small pot on high heat, heat 3 Tbsp vegetable oil. Once oil is hot, remove from heat and add 2 minced garlic cloves and 10 g minced ginger. Stir and let it sizzle for 3 minutes.
Add ½ Tsp salt and 1 Tsp vinegar and stir for 5 minutes, until aromatic and lightly caramelized to a light brown color. Set aside.
In a bowl, mix 3 Tbsp soy sauce, 1 Tbsp sesame oil and 1 Tbsp chicken stock until well combined.
Step 6 - Make chicken rice
In a pan on medium heat, add chicken fats and fry for 1 minute. Stir in 4 minced garlic cloves and fry for another 1 minute.
Add in uncooked rice and stir continuously for 2 minutes
Remove from heat and place rice into your rice cooker. Add ½ Tsp salt and 4 cups chicken stock. Cook rice according to rice cooker instructions
Step 7 - Place chicken in ice bath
After 45 minutes of boiling chicken, place crushed ice into a big mixing bowl. Once the chicken is cooked, lift it out of the pot and drain water in the chicken cavity.
Lower the chicken into the ice bath, taking care not to break the skin. Leave the chicken in ice bath for 10 minutes.
Plate and serve!
Slice chicken and place them into serving plate. Serve with rice, chili sauce and garlic ginger sauce on the side.