Homemade Nian Gao
Nian Gao (glutinous rice cake) is a traditional Chinese cuisine commonly consumed during Chinese New Year. Try your hand at homemade nian gao this Chinese New Year.
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Make the Batter
- Mix the glutinous rice flour and brown sugar together in a large bowl, whisking until evenly combined. Use your fingers to break up any lumps.
- Pour the water in while whisking, and mix until you have an even batter.
Step 2 - Prepare the Tin
- Liberally oil a 6” cake tin with half the oil. Line it with pieces of the banana leaf, cutting to fit. Strain the batter into the cake tin.
Step 3 - Cook the Nian Gao
- Steam over medium-high heat for 1½ to 2 hours. Freshly cooked, the nian gao is soft and sticky.
- If you would like to harden it for storage, bake it in a 100°C oven for 3 to 4 hours, until it is harder.
- Brush with a layer of oil before storing.
Let's plate and serve!