Hong Kong Style Egg Tarts
This delicious, buttery shortcrust pastry filled with egg custard is a hit across the world. Popular in dimsum restaurants, these are also a treat by themselves.
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Make oil and water dough
- In a food processor, add 200 g plain flour, butter and 20 g sugar. Pulse until butter is incorporated, then transfer to a mixing bowl. Cover and set aside oil dough in the refrigerator to chill for 20 minutes, or until dough is firm.
- In another mixing bowl, add 250 g plain flour, 1 egg, ½ tsp salt, and 100 ml cold water. Mix well and form into a ball. Dust flat work surface with flour and knead until dough is well incorporated. Cover and set aside water dough in the refrigerator to chill for 20 minutes, or until dough is firm.
Step 2 - Make egg tart filling
- While dough is resting, in another mixing bowl, add 5 eggs, then whisk in 80 g sugar until all sugar dissolves. Whisk in milk, 165 ml water and mix well. Strain the custard twice to remove impurities and ensure a silky surface. You can tell when sugar is dissolved in the egg mixture once you don’t hear a “sandy” sound.
Step 3 - Roll out pastry
- On a large sheet of baking paper or floured surface, roll out water dough to about 1 cm thick. Do the same for the oil dough. Layer the oil dough on top of the water dough.
- Fold down the top of the dough until the halfway mark, then fold up the bottom of the dough to meet the top. Fold in half, then wrap in baking paper and refrigerate for another 20 minutes.
- Roll out chilled dough to about 2 cm thick, then fold in half and roll out to about 2 cm thick again. Set aside to chill for another 20 minutes. Repeat this step 2 more times, but roll out the dough to 0.5cm thickness for the last time.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut out circles slightly bigger than your egg tart molds. Press pastry into your mold, trimming off excess.
Step 4 - Bake egg tarts
- Preheat oven to 200°C. While preheating, fill each pastry shell about 80% full with egg filling.
- Bake at 200°C for 15 minutes. After that, reduce heat to 180°C and bake for another 10 minutes. Leave the oven door open for 5 minutes before removing egg tarts from the oven.
Plate and serve!