Ikan Goreng Kicap
Allow yourselves to indulge in this fragrant traditional fried fish dish that is perfect for sharing!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Score and marinate fish
- With a knife, score fish by making 4 slits on both sides.
- Evenly coat 4 Tbsp turmeric powder and 4 Tbsp cornstarch on both sides of the fish. Wear gloves to prevent turmeric from staining hands
Step 2 - Deep-fry fish
- In a pot, heat up enough vegetable oil for deep-frying the whole fish. Deep-fry the fish on high heat for 10 minutes, until crispy.
- Drain excess oil on a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
Step 3 - Sauté shallots garlic and ginger
- In a pan on medium-high heat, heat up 2 Tbsp vegetable oil and sauté shallots, garlic and ginger for 1 minute,until fragrant.
Step 4 - Make sauce
- In the same pan, mix in 5 Tbsp kecap manis, 4 Tbsp light soy sauce, 1 Tbsp dark soy sauce, 200 ml water and thickener together and let it reduce until sauce thickens.
- Season with 2 tsp ground white pepper.
Drizzle sauce and serve!
Transfer dish to a large plate and drizzle thickened sauce over fried fish. Garnish with finely julienned spring onion and large red chili and serve hot.