Crisp on the outside and tender on the inside, this Indonesian fried potato patties will satisfy all your savory cravings!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Deep-fry potato slices
- In a pot on medium heat, heat up enough vegetable oil for deep-frying. Deep-fry potato slices for 5 to 7 minutes until lightly browned.
- Remove potato from hot oil and place on paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil. Set aside pot of oil for later.
Step 2 - Mash deep-fried potatoes
- In a mixing bowl, mash deep-fried potatoes with a fork or potato masher until slightly chunky.
Step 3 - Mix potatoes with seasoning and herbs and roll into balls
To the potato, add in coriander, spring onions, shallots, ½ tsp cumin powder, 1 tsp white sugar, 1 tsp white pepper and 1 tsp salt. Mix well until well combined.Add protein to this dish by mixing in some minced beef.
Take 1 ½ Tbsp of potato mixture and roll into a ball. Lightly flatten it with your hands and repeat until all mixture is used.
Step 4 - Dip begedil into beaten egg and deep fry
- With the pot of oil that has been set aside, heat up on medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- In a separate small bowl, crack and beat 1 egg with a fork. Dip begedil into beaten egg and gently place into hot oil. Deep-fry 2 to 3 begedil at a time for 5 minutes, until golden brown all over.
- Place deep-fried begedil on a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil. This dish can be eaten as a appetiser or to popular Malay dishes like lontong.
Garnish and serve!
Transfer onto serving dish and garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot.