Indonesian-Style Braised and Grilled Chicken Thigh
Fragrant and savory, this delicious Indonesian-style dish of tender chicken thigh, also known as ayam bakar, with a spicy kick, cannot be missed!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Blend rempah (spice paste)
- In a blender, blend large red chilies, chili padi, shallots, garlic cloves and grated ginger together until it forms a smooth paste.
- If mixture is not blending well, use vegetable oil to help you achieve a smooth paste.
Adjust the level of spiciness by adding or removing the amount of chili padi
Step 2 - Fry rempah (spice paste)
- In a pan, fry the rempah for about 8 minutes, until the oil separates from the paste.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
Step 3 - Cook chicken
- In the same pan, add in chicken thighs and add enough water to cover the chicken.
- Simmer on medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
Chicken thigh can be substituted with chicken breast
Step 4 - Grill chicken
- After 15 minutes, remove chicken thighs from the pan and grill in the oven at 180°C until nicely charred.
Step 5 - Cook and season sauce
- In the same pan, add lime juice, diced tomatoes, smashed kaffir lime leaves, smashed lemongrass and sliced basil, cook until the sauce reduces.
- Season to taste with salt and sugar.
Plate and serve!
Serve the chicken and drizzle sauce over the chicken.