Japanese-style Cheese Tart
This sweet Hokkaido specialty, with its delicate crust and creamy, cheesy centre, is often sold out due to popular demand. Beat the queue by making your own!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Prepare tart shells
- Preheat oven at 180°C
- In a food processor, pulse flour, 50 g butter, and 3 g baking powder until roughly combined.
Step 2 - Make crust
- Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl, then mix in milk, 1 egg yolk and 1/8 tsp salt. Form into a dough, then mold into a 4 inch aluminium pie mold, about ½ cm thick on all sides. Poke holes in the base with a fork or toothpick.
- Bake the shortcrust pastry at 180°C for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Step 3 - Make custard
- In different mixing bowls, separate 1 egg yolk and egg white.
- In the bowl with the egg yolk, add cream cheese, cream, 1 Tbsp lemon juice, lemon zest, tsp salt, icing sugar, vanilla and 10 g cornstarch. Mix well.
- Add 30 g melted butter and mix again.
- Whisk egg whites until slightly frothy, add 1 Tbsp sugar and continue to whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold meringue into custard.
Step 4 - Bake cheese tart
- Preheat oven at 210°C.
- Pour into tart shells, until about 90% full.
- Bake at 210°C for 10-11 minutes, or until golden brown
Let's plate and serve!