Japanese-Style Fluffy Pancakes
These amazing, souffle-like pancakes are a wobbly tower of deliciousness when stacked up! Here’s how to create your own version of this popular Japanese dessert!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Separate eggs
- Separate egg into whites and yolk into Two separate bowls, taking care not to contaminate the white with any yolk. Set both aside.
Ensure the bowl holding whites is dry and clean. If oil or water is present, your meringue will not whip well, and stiff peaks will not form or keep.
Step 2 - Combine dry mixture and wet mixture
In a mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, ½ tsp salt and 1 Tbsp sugar, and mix well.Use cake flour and sift it for pancakes of a fluffier texture.
In another mixing bowl, add milk, melted butter and egg yolk and mix well.
Slowly mix in dry mixture to wet mixture until well incorporated. Set aside.
Step 3 - Whisk and fold in meringue mixture
- Whisk egg whites until slightly frothy, add 1 Tbsp sugar and continue to whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Using a spatula, gently fold meringue mixture into batter. Cook pancakes.
- In a pan on low heat, brush with oil. Add a 5 inch ring mold onto the pan, and brush with vegetable oil as well.
- Using a ladle, fill the mold to the half-way mark. Cover for 5 minutes, then flip for even coloring.
Plate and serve!
Serve warm, with fruits and icing sugar