Kai Dtun Maproud Onn
Steamed Egg with Tom Yum & Fish Sauce in Young Coconut
Wow your guests not only by how tasty this dish is, but also with showstopping presentation -served in a coconut!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Drain coconut juice
- Cut open the top of the young coconuts to drain out the coconut juice into a big bowl. Keep the husk for cooking later.
Step 2 - Lightly beat eggs
- In a bowl, lightly beat eggs and set aside.
Step 3 - Make tom yum broth
- In a pot, boil 550 ml coconut juice and add lemongrass stems and galangal, 3 sliced large red chilies and kaffir lime leaves.
- Season with 3 Tbsp fish sauce and let tom yum broth boil for 5 minutes.
Step 4 - Add mushrooms and prawns
- To the same pot, add in mushrooms and prawns.
- Let it cook for 5 minutes, until completely cooked. You can also add sliced squid tubes to this dish
Step 5 - Strain tom yum broth
- Using a strainer, strain the tom yum broth.
- Set aside cooked prawns and mushrooms.
Step 6 - Thicken broth
- In a separate pot, boil 200 ml of broth. Mix 1 tsp cornstarch with 1 Tbsp water in a cup before pouring into pot.
- Stir well until broth begins to thicken. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Adding cornstarch and water will thicken the broth
Step 7 - Steam coconut husk with broth
- In a large bowl or measuring jug, pour 350 ml of remaining broth into beaten eggs and stir well.
- Pour liquid into the coconut husk until ¾ filled.
- Place coconut husk into the steamer on high heat for another 30 to 40 minutes, until mixture is set.
Plate and Serve!
When the steamed eggs are cooked, take them out from the steamer and garnish with cooked prawns, mushrooms, 1 large sliced red chili and kaffir lime leaves. Pour the thick broth over and serve hot.