Tender and juicy pork loin covered in fluffy eggs, over a bed of steamed white rice.
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Brine pork loin and make sauce
- In a bowl, mix 500 ml water, 25 g salt and 25 g sugar until sugar dissolves.
- Soak pork loins in brine and set aside for 12 hours in the refrigerator.
- In a pot, combine dashi stock, mirin, light soy sauce and white sugar.
- Bring to a boil, remove from heat and set aside.
- In 3 deep dish, place 2 beaten eggs in 1 dish, pour panko in 1 dish and flour in the other dish.
Step 3 - Coat pork loin in flour, eggs and panko and deep-fry
- Pat dry pork loin after brining and coat evenly in flour, followed by eggs and panko.
- Repeat with the other pork loin.
- In a separate pot on medium-low heat, heat up enough vegetable oil for deep-frying.
- Place coated pork loins in hot oil andlet it fry for 6 to 8 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- Place deep-fry pork loin on a clean surface and slice into even pieces.
- Repeat with the other pork loin. Set aside.
Step 4 - Make katsudon topping with egg
- In a pan on medium heat, heat 2 Tbsp vegetable oil.
- Fry yellow onions and spring onion stems for 1 minute before pouring in ¼ of the sauce.
- Let it simmer for 3 minutes.
- Place deep-fried pork loin into the pan and pour over 2 beaten eggs.
- Let it cook for 3 to 5 minutes, with the lid on.
Garnish and serve!
Pour katsudon topping over a bed of steamed rice and garnish with chopped spring onions. Serve hot.