A traditional Betawi spicy omelette dish from Indonesian, kerak telor translates to ‘egg crust’. This Snacks is always a hit at Jakarta food fairs; here’s how to have a taste of it in the comfort of your own home!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Cook sticky rice
- In a small pan on medium heat, add 2 Tbsp vegetable oil.
- When hot, add the sticky rice along with the reserved water, spreading out the rice.
- Cover for 20 minutes.
Step 2 - Mix egg mixture
- In a large bowl, crack eggs.
- Add in chili, shallots, shredded coconut (reserving 1 tsp for garnish), hebi and palm sugar. Whisk well with a whisk or fork. Traditional kerak telor is made with duck eggs, not chicken, and is topped with more hebi as well as fried shallots, and cooked over a charcoal fire
Step 3 - Cook egg mixture
- Uncover the pan. The rice should now be quite dry.
- Pour in the egg mixture.
- Allow it to cook for 1 minute, then flip the egg, and cook for another 1 minute.
Plate and serve!
Garnish with 1 tsp shredded coconut, sour cream and top with coriander leaves. Serve hot.