This Northern Thai take on Khao Soi (or cut curry noodles) is popular in Myanmar and Laos, where sometimes street vendors still cut the noodles by hand.
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Blend and fry spice paste
- In a blender, add dried red chili, belacan, 1 Tbsp coriander seeds, shallots, 2 Tbsp salt, garlic, coriander roots, kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, galangal, and 1 Tbsp white peppercorns.
- Blend into a paste.
- In a pot on medium heat, add spice paste and fry for 20 minutes, or until fragrant and oil splits.
Step 2 - Cook curry
- In the same pot, add chicken and stir for 5 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and mix well.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt, and remove from heat.
Step 3 - Blanch egg noodles
- In a separate pot with boiling water, add egg noodles and blanch for 1 minute.
- Add noodles into 2 bowls, then ladle curry over.
Garnish and serve!
Garnish with calamansi lime halves, chili flakes, sliced shallots and mustard greens. Serve hot!