Sweet Potato Donut
Craving for something sweet, but you donut know what to make? Dough not worry, this sweet, fried Malaysian Snack is the perfect treat for you!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Slice, steam, mash and season sweet potatoes
- Slice sweet potatoes into even cubes and steam for 20 minutes or until soft.
- Mash well using a potato masher or a fork.
- Season mashed sweet potatoes with ½ tsp salt and mix well.
Step 2 - Make dough
- In a large bowl, mix all-purpose flour and tapioca flour together. Add in mashed sweet potatoes and mix thoroughly until it becomes a dough-like consistency.
- On your working surface, dust some all-purpose flour. Knead the dough until well combined. The dough should not be sticking to your working surface.
Step 3 - Shape donut
- With floured hands, divide the dough into 8 even balls. Flatten the ball and use your finger to poke a hole in the middle. The donut hole should be about thumb size. You can use Japanese sweet potato to give you a purple donut
Step 4 - Deep-fry donuts
- In a deep pan or pot on high heat, heat up enough vegetable oil to deep-fry the donuts. Deep-fry the doughnuts for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Drain excess oil from the donut on a paper towel-lined plate. Do not overcrowd the donuts when deep-frying, as it will drastically lower the temperature of the oil and cause the donuts to become oily and soggy
Step 5 - Make sugar glaze
- In a pot on low heat, add 4 Tbsp water and 100 g of caster sugar.
- Stir until sugar dissolves.
Glaze donut and serve
Dip the doughnuts in the glaze, ensuring all sides are covered. You can also drizzle the glaze over the donuts.