Kung Pao Chicken
This spicy stir-fry featuring chicken, water chestnuts and peanuts is a staple in Chinese cuisine.
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Marinate chicken
- Combine 1 Tbsp wine, 1 Tbsp soy sauce, 1 Tbsp oil and 1 Tbsp cornstarch mixture and mix well together.
- Add chicken pieces to the mixture and stir well to coat.
- Cover dish and place in refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
Step 2 - Stir-fry chicken and water chestnuts
- In a pan on medium high heat, add 1 Tbsp vegetable oil.
- When hot, add chicken (without excess marinade), sauté on high heat until meat is white and juices run clear, then add garlic.
- Add 1 Tbsp wine, 1 Tbsp soy sauce, 1 Tbsp oil, 1 Tbsp cornstarch mixture, 1 tsp vinegar, chilies and 2 tsp brown sugar. Mix well.
- Add water chestnuts, chilli, peanuts and spring onion. Heat sauce slowly until aromatic
- Remove from heat.
For an even spicier kick, use Sichuan peppercorns. They’re used in the original recipe for this dish dating from the 1830s. This contributes to the use of hot and numbing flavor (mala) typical in Sichuan cuisine
Serve hot with rice.