Mala Xiang Guo
This Sichuan favorite is named for its numbing and spicy (or ‘mala’) properties. Pain truly is pleasure in this stir-fry!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Render chili oil
- In a pan on medium heat, add shallots, 8 cloves smashed garlic, 1 Tbsp szechuan peppercorn, coriander seeds, 2 Tbsp white peppercorn, red chilies, cinnamon stick, star anise, 10 chopped dried red chilies and vegetable oil. Allow oil to be infused by spices for at least 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove from heat and strain oil.
Step 2 - Stir-fry ingredients
- In a large pan, add 120 ml chili oil. When hot, add 4 dried chili and 2 cloves sliced garlic and fry. For a less spicy dish, remove the seeds of the dried chili
- Add black fungus, chicken thigh, napa cabbage, shimeiji mushroom, oyster mushrooms, broccoli, beancurd skin and 1 tsp szechuan peppercorn. Stir-fry for 3 -5 minutes, until chicken is cooked.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
Let's plate and serve!
Season to taste with salt and sugar, then remove from heat. Serve hot!