Ayam Goreng Berempah
Indulge in this traditional Malaysian fried chicken topped with fragrant spices. It’s guaranteed to leave you wanting more!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Make chicken marinade
- In a blender, blend ginger, red onion, shallots, garlic, lemongrass, red bird eye chili, egg, chili paste, 1 ½ Tbsp coriander seeds, curry powder, 1 ½ Tbsp cumin, 1 Tbsp salt and 1 Tbsp sugar until smooth.
- If mixture is too dry, use vegetable oil to help you achieve a smooth consistency.
Step 2 - Marinate chicken
- In a mixing bowl, put in the chicken strips and pour blended ingredients onto the chicken. You can also substitute chicken with thinly sliced beef (tenderloin or sirloin)
- Mix until chicken is evenly coated.
- Marinate chicken for at least 2 to 3 hours in the refrigerator.
Step 3 - Deep-fry Chicken
- In a deep pan or pot on high heat, heat up enough vegetable oil to deep-fry chicken.
- Once the oil is hot, deep-fry marinated chicken for 4 to 5 minutes, until golden brown.
- Drain fried chicken on a paper towel-lined plate to remove the excess oil.
Garnish and Serve!
Transfer fried chicken to serving plate or bowl and garnish with leek and red chili. Serve hot.