Malaysian Mamak Fried Chicken
This Indian-Muslim fried chicken is popular dish in mamak stalls all over Malaysia! Crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, what more could you ask for?
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Make chicken marinade
- In a bowl, crack 2 eggs and mix with plain yogurt until well combined.
- Set aside.
- In a blender, blend yellow onion, garlic, 1 Tbsp white sugar, 2 Tbsp salt, 1 Tbsp curry powder, 2 Tbsp chili powder ½ Tbsp turmeric powder, 1 Tbsp coriander powder until smooth.
- Pour blended ingredients into bowl with yogurt mixture and mix well.
Step 2 - Marinate chicken and make dry mix
- Coat chicken wings evenly in marinade and let it marinate for 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix plain flour, rice flour, cornstarch, 1 Tbsp curry powder, 2 Tbsp chili powder, ½ Tbsp white pepper, 1 tsp baking powder and 3 Tbsp salt.
Step 3 - Coat chicken wing in dry mix and deep-fry
- In a pot, heat up enough vegetable oil for deep-frying and coat marinated chicken wings in the dry mix.
- Once oil is hot enough, deep-fry the chicken wings for 5 to 8 minutes until golden brown.
- Drain deep-fried chicken wings on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Repeat with remaining chicken wings.
Plate and serve!
Transfer deep-fried chicken wings onto serving plate or dish and serve hot.