Malaysian Sarawak Laksa
A spicy noodle soup is popular in the Peranakan cuisine, here’s a Malaysian variant on this beloved recipe for you to try out at home!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Make laksa broth
- In a pot, boil chicken stock, prawn heads, prawn shells and Sarawak laksa paste. Simmer on low heat, covered, for 30 minutes.
Step 2 - Add coconut milk
- After simmering for 30 minutes, remove prawn heads and prawn shells from pot.
- Bring laksa broth to a boil and add coconut milk. Stir well and boil for 5 minutes. Season with 1 tbsp salt and 1 tsp sugar.
Step 3 - Blanch noodles and bean sprouts
- In a separate pot, boil water to cook noodles and beansprouts.
- Once boiled, blanch rice vermicelli for 30 seconds. Drain and set aside.
Step 4 - Fry omelette
- In a pan on medium-high heat, fry beaten eggs. Cut into strips and set aside.
Step 5- Ladle soup
- Place the noodles in a bowl, add chicken strips, omelette strips, prawns and bean sprouts. Ladle over hot laksa soup over the ingredients.
Garnish and serve!
Garnish with large red chili slices, coriander and mint leaves. Squeeze calamansi over and serve hot.