Matcha Chiffon Cake
The chiffon cake is a breakfast staple in Southeast Asian countries. Here’s how to make this lovely cake with a Japanese twist!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Separate eggs and whip meringue
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- In two mixing bowls, separate egg yolks and whites.
- In the mixing bowl with egg whites, whip until frothy, then gradually add in 100 g sugar and 12 g cornstarch, until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
Step 2 - Mix cake batter
- In a small bowl, mix matcha powder with water to form a matcha paste. Set aside.
- In the mixing bowl with egg yolks, whip lightly, then stir in 25 g sugar, vegetable oil and matcha paste. When almost combined, slowly stir in flour.
- Using a spatula, gently fold in meringue until batter is evenly combined.
Step 3 - Bake and serve chiffon cakes
- Fill 8-inch chiffon cake molds about 60% full, then lightly tap on counter to remove air pockets.
- Bake at 160°C for 45 minutes, then remove from heat and set aside to cool, upside down on a rack, for at least 30 minutes.
- Using a butter knife, cut the sides of the mold as well as the center, then pop out the center piece. Slice along the bottom of the mold, then gently twist to pop out the cake.
Let's plate and serve!
Slice and serve at room temperature.