Fried bee hoon served in a spicy, sweet and sour gravy. This mouthwatering dish will make you ask for a second portion of delicious goodness!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Blend rempah (spice paste)
- In a blender, blend shallots, onion and dried chili until smooth.
- Use vegetable oil to help you achieve a smooth consistency.
Step 2 - Fry vegetables
- In a pan on medium heat, add 2 Tbsp vegetable oil and fry belacan until fragrant.
- In the same pan, add the rempah, tau cheo and white sugar and fry on medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until fragrant and dark red.
Step 3 - Add tamarind paste and water
- Transfer spice paste into a pot and add the tamarind paste and water mixture. Simmer for 10 minutes on medium-low heat.
Step 4 - Fry bee hoon
- In a pan on medium heat, heat 2 Tbsp vegetable oil and fry 1 Tbsp chili powder with the bee hoon for 30 seconds or until well coated. Mee siam means "Siamese noodle" in Malay
Garnish and serve!
Arrange fried bee hoon, bean sprouts, sliced hard boiled egg, diced tau pok and prawns in your serving bowl. Ladle over the mee siam broth and garnish with sliced chives.