A popular street food found in Singapore and Malaysia, these sticky glutinous rice balls are coated in ground peanuts and sugar.
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Make peanut coating
- In a bowl, add peanuts, 50 g sugar and salt (if desired).
- Mix well and set aside.
For a twist, try using black sesame seeds instead of peanuts.
Step 2 - Mix ingredients together to form muah chee batter
- In a mixing bowl, add 235 ml water, shallot oil, glutinous rice flour and tapioca flour.
- Mix well.
Step 3 - Cook to make muah chee batter
- Pour into a dish and steam for 2 minutes on high heat.
- Remove from heat then fold with a wooden spatula. The batter will be slightly solid.
- Scrape the sides, then steam again for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat then fold again with a wooden spatula. The batter will be slightly sticky.
Step 4 - Coat and shape muah chee
- Add peanut coating into a large dish, then add muah chee batter.
- Coat generously with peanuts, then cut into bite sized pieces.
Plate and serve!