Braised Creamy Mutton Curry
Fill the air with the fragrant aroma of this mouth-watering braised mutton curry, guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser at any meal or gathering!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Blend spice paste
- In a blender, combine shallots, garlic, candlenuts, galangal, ginger, kaffir lime leaves and palm sugar until it reaches a smooth consistency.
- Add a few tsp of water to keep the blender going, if needed.
Step 2 - Sear mutton
- In a pan over medium-high heat, heat 2 Tbsp vegetable oil and sear the mutton for 2 minutes, until browned on all sides. Remove and set aside.
Searing the mutton gives it a bit of color, and also locks in the juices of the meat, ensuring that it is still tender to the bite
Step 3 - Fry spice paste
- In the same pan, fry spice paste and cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until the oil separates from the paste.
Step 4 - Cook mutton and spices
- On medium heat, add seared mutton, turmeric powder, cumin powder, fennel powder, cardamom pod, star anise, cinnamon stick, coriander powder, bay leaf, tamarind paste, lemongrass stalks, 1 tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper. Cook for about 2 minutes.
Step 5 - Simmer curry
- Add coconut milk and mix well. Add 1 cup water or enough to cover the mutton pieces.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 1 ½ hours until the meat is tender and most of the liquid has evaporated.
Plate and serve!
Transfer to serving bowl or dish and garnish with large red chili slices. Serve hot.