Nasi Goreng Kambing
Nasi goreng, or simply Indonesian fried rice, made it to number two on CNN’s 'World’s 50 Most Delicious Foods' list in 2011.
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Pickle the achar
- In a small bowl, stir white vinegar and sugar together until the sugar dissolves.
- Add in sliced cucumber, sliced carrot, 2 sliced shallots, sliced chili padi and 1 sliced large red chili into the bowl, cover and leave to pickle in the refrigerator for 3 hours. Buy ready-made achar in supermarkets to save time.
Fry the mutton
- In a hot pan, add 1 Tbsp ghee and fry mutton on high heat for 2 minutes.
Step 3 - Add spices to the mutton
- Add in 5 sliced shallots, 2 large red chili slices and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add in cumin powder, turmeric powder, cinnamon powder and curry leaves.
- Stir-fry for 1 minute until well combined.
Step 4 - Add rice
- Add in cooked rice, breaking it apart with a spatula and fry for 5 minutes. It is best to use leftover rice from the night before. Refrigerated rice loses its moisture content, so your fried rice will not be too mushy and wet, resulting in a better texture.
Garnish and Serve!
Garnish with coriander leaves, tomato wedges, melinjo crackers, achar on the side and if you prefer, a sunny side up on top.