Nasi Goreng USA
The ‘USA’ in this mouthwatering fried rice dish stands for udang(prawn), sotong(squid) and ayam(chicken).
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Fry aromatics
- In a pan, heat 3 Tbsp vegetable oil and fry shallots, garlic, red chilies and chili paste for 5 minutes, until fragrant.
Step 2 - Stir-fry chicken, prawn, squid and vegetables
- Add in chicken, squid, prawns, green peas and cabbage.
- Mix well and stir-fry for 5 minutes until proteins are cooked.
Step 3 - Add eggs and scramble
- Push ingredients to one side of the pan and crack 2 eggs on the other side.
- Scramble eggs for 1 minute before mixing with the rest of the ingredients.
Step 4 - Stir-fry rice and spring onions
- To the same pan, toss in cooked rice and stir-fry for at least another 8 minutes. It is best to use leftover rice from the night before. As refrigerated rice loses its moisture content, your fried rice won’t be too mushy and wet, resulting in better texture
Step 5 - Toss in spring onions
- Remove from heat and mix in chopped spring onion. In Malay, nasi means rice and goreng means fried.
Plate and Serve!
Transfer nasi goreng to serving plate and serve hot with sunny side up on the side.