A type of rice set meal popular in Indonesia, this rich and fragrant coconut rice is accompanied by stewed chicken, choko (a green vegetable of the gourd family) and a special omelette.
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Blend opor ayam paste and cook opor ayam
- In a blender, add 5 shallots, 3 garlic cloves, 4 candlenuts, 1 tsp toasted coriander seeds, and a pinch of salt then blend into a smooth paste. Set aside.
Step 2 - Cook chicken
- In a large pot, add chicken then pour in enough water to cover the chicken.
- Bring to a boil for 15 minutes, occasionally skimming off the fat (scum) with a ladle as it floats to the surface.
- Remove from heat.
- When cooled, remove the chicken, and pour away ¾ of the water.
Step 3 - Cook opor ayam paste
- In the same large pot, add in the opor ayam paste together with 1 pc bruised galangal, 1 dried bay leaf and 1 stalk lemongrass and cooked chicken.
- Follow by pouring in 500 ml coconut milk and then let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add 1 Tbsp sliced palm sugar, and cook to reduce for 5 more minutes.
- Season to taste, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Set aside.
Step 4 - Prepare choko, blend into choko sambal paste
Peel or cut the skin off the choko and then julienne.
Rub a generous amount of salt on the julienned pieces.
Leave to marinate for 5 minutes, then rinse under running water until excess salt is gone and then drain and set aside.Rubbing salt into the choko gets rid of the bitterness
In a blender, add 7 red chilies, 8 shallots, 3 garlic cloves, drained hebi and a pinch of salt then blend into a smooth paste.
Step 5 - Fry choko sambal paste
- In a pan on medium heat, add paste and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add smashed galangal, 1 dried bay leaf, 1½ Tbsp sliced coconut palm sugar, long beans, julienned choko and salt to taste, then continue to fry until fragrant.
Step 6 - Make tim telur omelette
- In a blender, add 3 shallots, ½ tsp salt, and ½ tsp sliced coconut palm sugar then blend into a smooth paste. This will be the tim telur paste.
- In a pan add 200 ml coconut milk and stir in tim telur paste, bring to boil and let cool.
- Whisk 2 eggs and pour tim telur batter into egg, steam for 20 minutes (or until firm). This dish is similar to nasi campur, an Indonesian dish of white rice served with various small servings of other side dishes.
Step 7 - Cook coconut rice
Pour 1 L coconut milk into a separate pot and bring it to a boil on medium heat.
Once boiling, add in rice along with 2 dried bay leaves, 1 stalk lemongrass and a pinch of salt.
Stir until the coconut milk starts to thicken and reduce.
This takes about 15 minutes.Ensure that the rice doesn’t stick or burn on the bottom. If the coconut milk reduces too much and it starts to become dry, just add a little more as needed.
Set aside for another 10 to 15 minutes, then fork through to make it fluffy.
Plate and serve!
This dish is similar to a nasi campur, so to serve, place a neat cone-shaped amount of rice in the center of each plate. Neatly place one or two pieces of chicken next to the rice, a portion of the choko sambal, and a spoonful of tim telur around the rice. Sprinkle the rice with some deep fried golden shallots and garnish with fresh lemon basil leaves and julienned chili.