Sticky Sweet Cake
Made of glutinous rice flour, water, and sugar, this traditional Chinese New Year snack is always a hit!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Make the water mixture
- In a bowl, mix 200 ml of boiling water and â cup of brown sugar.
- Stir constantly to dissolve. Set aside to cool.
Step 2 - Chop the dates
- Chop ½ cup of chinese dates and set aside.
Step 3 - Make the dough
- Place 400 g of glutinous rice flour in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the middle and add in the sugar and water mixture.
- Add 1 Tbsp of milk and begin shaping the dough.
- Add 1 Tbsp of water to the dough at a time, until you have a smooth dough with a satin texture.
- Mix in ¾ of the ½ cup ofthe chinese dates as you are adding water and working with the dough.
Step 4 - Decorate and steam the cake
- Grease a 7-inch square cake pan with 1 Tbsp of vegetable oil or non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the dough in the cake pan and spread it out to the edges.
- Decorate with the remaining dates, lightly pushing them into the dough.
- Sprinkle 1 Tbsp of sesame seeds on top.
- Steam the cake over medium-high to high heat for 45 minutes or until the edges of the cake pull away from the pan.
Step 5 - Remove cake from pan and refrigerate.
- Remove the cake from the heat and cool.
- Use a knife to loosen the edges, then remove the cake.
- Wrap in wax paper and refrigerate overnight.
Plate and Serve!