An variant of goreng pisang, or fried banana, popular in Indonesia -these are a delicious, sweet treat!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Mix and steam batter
- In a bowl, add egg, 1 Tbsp milk powder, 1 tsp salt, 50 g sugar, 25 ml water, 1 Tbsp cornstarch and 1 Tbsp vanilla essence. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, roughly mash bananas with a fork.
- Fold in diced bread into the bananas, then gradually add in the batter from step 1. Stir to combine, then transfer to a 5x5 inch heatproof dish.
- Steam for 30 minutes, then leave to chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
Step 2 - Shape nugget pisang
- In a small bowl, add 5 Tbsp flour, 70 ml milk and ½ tsp salt. Mix well.
- Cut cooled banana cake into 2 inch squares.
- Dip banana squares into milk mixture, then coat with breadcrumbs. Set aside and repeat for all.
Step 3 - Deep-fry
- In a pot on medium heat half-filled with hot vegetable oil, deep-fry banana nuggets for 3 minutes, until golden brown.
Let's plate and serve!
Leave to drain on paper towels, and serve hot!