Crunchy, pickled vegetables that pack a spicy and vinegary punch, perfect to complement richer and heavier dishes. This will surely refresh your tastebuds!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Mix vegetables in salt
- In a bowl, mix cucumber, carrots, 2 large red chili, round cabbage with 3 Tbsp salt.
- Mix well and cover bowl with cling wrap. Set aside for 15 minutes.
Mixing vegetables in salt extracts excess water to allow it to absorb the pickling liquid better.
Step 2 - Make and fry spice paste
- In a blender, blend shallots, candlenuts, 3 large red chili and 1 tsp turmeric powder until smooth.
- If mixture is too dry, you can use vegetable oil to help you achieve a smooth consistency.
- In a pan on medium-high heat, fry spice paste for 5 minutes until fragrant. Remove from heat.
Step 3 - Rinse vegetable, toss vegetable and ground peanuts into spice paste
- Rinse vegetables and strain water.
- To the same pan, toss in rinsed vegetable and mix well until evenly coated in spice paste.
- Add in ground peanuts, toss well and transfer to large mixing bowl.
Step 4 - Add vinegar mixture to vegetables
- In a separate small bowl, mix Chinese rice vinegar with 1 Tbsp white sugar until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Pour vinegar mixture into the vegetable and add in pineapple. Toss well.
Step 5 - Transfer to jar
- Transfer achar to a jar and set aside in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours for the best flavor.
Allowing the pickles to store for longer will allow the flavors to develop more fully. It can be stored in the refrigerator for 1 week.
Plate and serve!
Place achar onto serving dish and serve.