This intricate Nyonya kueh is popular delight that can be found in Singapore and Malaysia. Who can resist gula melaka, grated coconut wrapped in a fragrant pandan crepe?
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Make coconut filling
- In a small pot, add 100 ml water and gula melaka. Cook until dissolved before adding 1 knotted pandan leaf and grated coconut. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes until combined and set aside.
Step 2 - Make pandan crepe batter
- In a blender, blend 4 pandan leaves with 200 ml water. Using a strainer, strainthe pandan juice into a bowl.
- In the same bowl, add in all purpose flour, coconut milk, egg, 1 tsp vegetable oil and ½ tsp salt. Mix until smooth and well combined.
Step 3 - Make pandan crepe
- In a crepe pan or non-stick pan, add in ½ tsp oil and remove the excess oil with a paper towel.
- On low heat, pour in sufficient crepe batter evenly on the pan to make a thin layer. Crepe is cooked when the sides starts to crisp and curl in.
- Carefully remove the cooked crepe with a spatula. Repeat until all batter is used.
Step 4 - Stuff crepe with filling and roll
- Once cooked, place the crepe on a working surface to cool before adding 1 Tbsp of the coconut filling on the edge closest to you and roll into the shape of a spring roll.
Let's plate and serve!
Roll up wrap, and serve!