This Japanese savory pancake’s name literally translates to “grilled as you like it”. Made of cabbage, this dish pairs well with various condiments!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Make the batter
- Sift flour into a bowl and mix with eggs and dashi stock until it forms batter with no lumps.
- Mix the batter with sliced cabbage and sliced yam. Set aside. Customize your own okonomiyaki by adding any ingredients you like but shredded cabbage is the base of the dish.
Step 2 - Mix the okonomiyaki sauce
- In a small bowl, mix together 1 Tbsp sugar, 3 Tbsp ketchup, 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce and 1 Tbsp soy sauce until well combined and sugar dissolves.
- Set aside.
Step 3 - Fry the pork
- In a pan on medium heat, heat up 2 Tbsp vegetable oil and fry minced pork for 3 minutes until completely cooked.
Step 4 - Fry okonomiyaki
- Add the batter on top of the pork and press it down on using a spatula to flatten out the top.
- Push the edges back towards the center to make a round pancake that has the same thickness throughout.
- Cover with lid and fry for 3 minutes, flip and fry for 2 minutes.
Garnish and Serve!
Top okonomiyaki with okonomiyaki sauce, mayonnaise, dried bonito and nori. Serve hot