Portable, easy to eat and extremely delicious, there is no doubt that onigiri is the perfect to-go snack with different fillings of salmon, tuna and Japanese pickle!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Rinse and cook Japanese rice
- Rinse Japanese rice in water and drain until water runs clear. This should take 4 to 5 times.
- Place rinsed Japanese rice in the rice cooker and add water. Let it cook according to rice cooker instructions.
Step 2 - Make vinegar mixture and teriyaki sauce
In a pot on medium heat, mix mizkhan vinegar with 5 g salt and 40 g white sugar. Continue stirring for 2 to 4 minutes, until sugar dissolves. Set aside rice seasoning.Mizkan vinegar can be easily found in any Asian supermarkets.
In a separate pot on medium heat, mix light soy sauce, mirin, 35 g white sugar and ginger. Continue stirring for 5 minutes, until sugar dissolves. Set aside teriyaki sauce.
Step 3 - Fry salmon in teriyaki sauce and fry tuna
- In a pan, heat up 1 Tbsp vegetable oil and fry salmon for 3 to 5 minutes until completely cooked through. Break apart salmon with a spatula and add in 6 Tbsp teriyaki sauce. Continue frying for another 2 minutes, until salmon absorbs teriyaki sauce. Set aside.
- In a separate pan, heat up 1 Tbsp vegetable oil and fry tuna for 3 to 5 minutes. Once done, transfer to a small bowl.
Step 4 - Season rice with vinegar mixture
- Once rice is cooked, transfer to a large bowl and pour in vinegar mixture. Mix well.
Step 5 - Assemble onigiri
With wet hands, take a ball of rice and gently flatten until palm size. Place 1 tsp salmon filling in the middle of the rice and fold the rice over the filling. Pack the rice together and mould into a triangle shape.Use an onigiri mould if you are unsure about using your hands to mold.
Cut nori into rectangular pieces and wrap the bottom of the onigiri. Repeat with tuna filling and umeboshi for other onigiri.There are many ways of wrapping onigiri, you can also wrap the whole rice triangle with nori.
Plate and serve!
Place onigiri on serving plate or dish and sprinkle over some white sesame seeds. Serve at room temperature or cold.