Oyster Tofu and Carrot Stir Fry
This Malaysian-inspired stir-fry with vegetables is a perfect dish for the dinner table!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Marinate the tofu
- In a bowl add in cut tofu cubes, 4 Tbsp oyster sauce, 2 Tbsp light soy sauce, with ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp sugar and set aside to marinate for 10 to 20 minutes.
For the tofu, look for packets labeled “silken tofu for frying”. This ensures that your tofu won’t fall apart much when frying.
Step 2 - Blanch vegetables
- In a pot, boil enough water for blanching vegetables.
- Add chopped carrots to boiling water and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Rinse in cold water, drain and set aside.
- Repeat with broccoli florets.
Rinsing blanched vegetables in cold water will not only stop the cooking process but also maintain the vibrant colour.
Step 3 - Fry the garlic, ginger, tofu and shiitake mushrooms
- In a pan on high heat, heat 2 Tbsp vegetable oil and fry garlic and ginger for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add marinated tofu and shiitake mushroom.
- Stir-fry for 3 minutes.
If cooking for vegetarian friends, use ‘oyster mushroom sauce’, which is a vegetarian alternative. Some vegetarians may not take garlic as well, which can be omitted from this recipe.
Step 4 - Thicken the sauce
- Mix 1 tsp cornstarch with 1 Tbsp water in a cup before pouring into pan.
- Stir until gravy thickens.
Step 5 - Stir-fry vegetables
- Add in blanched broccoli and carrots.
- Stir-fry until mixed well and season to taste with salt.
Garnish and Serve!
Transfer over to serving plate or dish and garnish with spring onions. Serve hot.