Pad Kra Pao Neu
Beef Basil Rice
Perfectly seasoned Thai beef basil rice, topped with a gorgeous sunny side up egg. Nothing gets any better than this, especially when you see the bright yellow yolk coating the rice!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Prepare prik nam pla (Thai dipping sauce)
- In a bowl, mix lime juice, ½ Tbsp sugar, 3 Tbsp fish sauce, chili padi and 1 clove minced garlic until well combined. Set aside.
Step 2 - Make paste for basil rice
- With a mortar and pestle, pound 10 cloves garlic, 1 sliced large red chili, white peppercorn and ½ Tbsp salt until it becomes a rough paste.
Step 3 - Stir-fry beef
- In a pan, heat 1 Tbsp vegetable oil and fry paste for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add minced beef and stir-fry for 1 minute.
Step 4 - Season beef
- Season with 2 Tbsp fish sauce, 2 Tbsp oyster sauce and 1 Tbsp sugar.
- Stir-fry for 1 more minute.
- Remove from heat and toss in fresh Thai basil. Stir well. To make a sunny side up, heat up 2 Tbsp oil and carefully crack 1 egg in the pan. Cook until the whites are just set on top and the yolks are still runny, for 3 minutes. You should end up with a perfect sunny side up egg.
Garnish and Serve!
Serve stir fried beef with a bowl of cooked rice, sunny side up and prik nam pla on the side. Garnish with sliced cucumber and large red chili slices.