A well-loved North Indian dish made from blanched spinach and cottage cheese. Rich, creamy and delicious, palak paneer is perfect for pairing with naan or rice!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Blanch spinach
- In a pot, fill the pot ¾ with water and bring to boil. Once boiling, blanch spinach for 30 seconds then immediately put in an ice bath. Set aside and drain before use.
Putting the spinach in an ice bath stops the cooking process, and locks in the color of the spinach, resulting in a vibrant green.
Step 2 - Fry curry paste
- In a pan on medium heat, add 3 Tbsp ghee and melt. Once melted, add shallots, garlic, ginger and chili and fry until soft, for about 2-4 minutes.
- Add 2 tsp cumin seed, 1 Tbsp cumin powder, ½ Tbsp turmeric powder, 1 Tbsp chili powder, 1 Tbsp garam masala and 1 Tbsp coriander powder. Mix well, then remove from heat.
Step 3 - Cook curry
- In a blender, add curry paste, drained spinach and blend into a smooth paste.
- In the same pan on medium-high heat, add blended paste and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add cream and mix well, then remove from heat.
Goes great with roti, naan and even rice.Restaurant versions of this popular dish usually use chewy, cubed cottage cheese, but the softer, store bought variety of cottage cheese will be a suitable substitute.
Plate and serve!
Ladle curry into dish of your choice, then spoon cottage cheese on top and serve!