Peking Sweet and Sour Shrimp
Crispy fried prawns with a sauce that has the right amount of tanginess to cut through the sweetness!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Marinate shrimp
- In a bowl, mix shrimps with 1 Tbsp cornstarch, ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp white pepper and plain flour. Mix well and let it marinate for 10 minutes. You may replace shrimp with any meat of your choice
Step 2 - Deep-fry shrimps
- In a pot on high heat, heat half a pot of vegetable oil until before smoking point. Working in batches, deep-fry shrimp until golden brown and crisp, about 3 minutes per batch. Transfer to paper towels to drain excess oil.
Step 3 - Prepare pan for stir-frying
- In a pan, transfer 2 Tbsp vegetable oil from deep-frying the shrimps.
- On high heat, add minced ginger and diced yellow onion and stir-fry for 10 seconds or until fragrant.
Step 4 - Stir-fry prawns with vegetables and pineapple
- Add diced green bell peppers, diced red bell peppers and stir-fry for 30 seconds or until tender-crisp.
- Add diced pineapple, Thai sweet chili sauce, 2 Tbsp palm vinegar, 2 Tbsp Shaoxing wine, 2 tsp soy sauce and 1 Tbsp palm sugar. Stir-fry for 30 seconds then add deep fried prawns.
Making sure stir-fried ingredients are well mixed, remove from heat and serve hot.