Munch on this modernized take on the classic, nostalgic Malaysian delicacy of banana fritters, also known as pisang goreng!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Make batter
- In a bowl, add yeast to warm milk and set aside for 5 minutes to activate yeast.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour with melted butter, egg, ½ tsp cinnamon, vanilla seeds, 2 tbsp caster sugar and ¼ tsp salt. Mix well.
- Add yeast mixture to the flour mixture and mix well.
- Fold mashed banana into batter and cover with cling wrap. Leave it to rest for 30 minutes in a warm spot. Leaving batter to rest for 30 minutes allows the yeast to ferment
Step 2 - Fry batter
- In a deep pan or pot on high heat, heat up enough oil for frying fritters. Dip 2 spoons into oil before scooping a dollop of batter.
- Place bite-sized dollops of the batter into the oil and fry for 2 minutes, until golden brown.
- Drain fried banana fritters onto a paper towel-lined plate and repeat with remaining batter. Coating spoons in oil prevents batter from sticking
Step 3 - Make coconut honey glaze
- In a pan, heat ½ cup honey with desiccated coconut and mix well.
Serve with sauce!
Serve fried banana fritters hot with coconut honey glaze and crème fraiche on the side.