Fried Prawn Fritters with Sauce
Devour these fried prawn fritters, commonly known as ‘cucur udang’ in Malaysia, served alongside a refreshing sweet and sour sauce. Simply scrumptious!
Let's start cooking!
Step 1 - Pound shrimp and ikan bilis
- With a mortar and pestle, pound dried shrimp and ikan bilis until flaky.
Step 2 - Make prawn fritter batter
- In a mixing bowl, sift flour and add pounded ingredients, red chili, ku cai leaves, spring onions, beaten egg, 1 clove minced garlic, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp white pepper, 1 tsp onion powder and prawns.
- Combine well until evenly coated.
- Gradually add 1 cup water to the mixing bowl while still whisking, until viscous but still fairly stiff.
Step 3 - Deep-fry prawn fritters
In a pot or deep pan on medium-high heat, half filled with hot oil, deep-fry prawn fritters.Ensure that you do not fry too many fritters at a time to allow even cooking and prevent it from sticking to each other.
Dip a spoon in oil to coat it before scooping 1 Tbsp batter.
Drop batter into the oil and fry for 3 to 4 minutes, until brown.
Repeat until batter is used up.Coating the spoon in oil prevents batter from sticking.
Drain fried prawn fritters on a paper towel lined plate.
Step 4 - Make dipping sauce
- In a small bowl, mix together ¼ cup water, 2 Tbsp fish sauce, 1 tsp rice vinegar, lime juice, big red chili, ½ tsp minced garlic and 1 Tbsp brown sugar until sugar is dissolved.
Plate and serve!
Place fried prawn fritters onto serving plate. Serve hot with dipping sauce on the side.