Almond Meringue & Green Apple Caramel Fool
Try this sweet treat by Josh Niland from Everyday Gourmet
As seen on Everyday Gourmet
- 300 grams egg whites
- 300 grams caster sugar
- 150 grams icing sugar mixture
- 1 tablespoon erawan brand rice flour
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- ½ cup flaked almonds
- Apple & Vanilla Puree:
- 8 green apples – peeled
- 300 millilitres water
- 100 grams caster sugar
- 40 millilitres lemon juice
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 recipe of Apple Vanilla Puree
- 400 grams caster sugar
- 100 grams Water
- The Fool:
- 100 grams Apple Caramel
- 200 grams Whipped Double Cream
- 10 millilitres Calvados
- 1 green apple Diced
- For the meringue, whisk egg whites, rain in caster sugar till soft peaks form. On low speed – add icing sugar, rice flour, burnt vanilla powder. Add the vinegar last then turn off mixer. Spread meringue into a baking paper lined rectangular slice tray, rim edge and sprinkle the flaked almonds. Place into an oven set to 200C (no fan), once trays are loaded in, shut the door and lower heat to 145C and bake for 1hour 45 mins till meringue is crisp and dry.
- For the apple and vanilla puree, add the sugar, pod, seeds and liquids to a stainless pot that will hold the apples in a fairly shallow layer. Peel all the apples and, on a mandoline, slice thinly down to the core on each side, into the pot. Discard cores. Apples must be equal thickness so as to cook evenly. Simmer with a lid or cover with a cartouche (baking paper) for 5 minutes then remove lid to finish cooking another 5 minutes. The apples must be all cooked through, but not stewed for a long time or the sauce won’t be fresh tasting. Remove from the heat, take out vanilla pods, strain off and reserve a little of the liquid. Blend all the apples and the liquid in the pan. Use the reserved liquid to thin the sauce if needed.
- For the caramel, start by adding the sugar and water into a very clean high sided saucepan. Let the sugar burn to a dark amber colour approx 5 mins. When you are happy with the colour of your caramel in 3 parts carefully add in the cooled apple vanilla puree to stop the caramel from getting any darker. (you must be very careful at this stage as with every addition the caramel will boil and potentially spit hot caramel from the pot). Use a whisk to incorporate puree to rich a smooth consistency. Store in clean plastic container or glass mason jar either room temp or refrigerated depending on the application.
- For the fool, 10 ml of calvados into a saucepan and put on a very low heat. When you start to see vapour coming from the liquid remove from heat and light with a match. This will burn off the alcohol without boiling it and compromising the flavour of the calvados. Pour the alcohol onto the apple caramel and whisk together in a large mixing bowl. Dice a peeled green apple and add to the caramel. Once incorporated add all of the cream on top of the caramel and gently fold the cream and caramel together being sure to keep as a ripple not completely mixed together.
- Spoon this generously over the almond meringue & serve immediately
Share it with your friends.