Get this quick and easy meat pie recipe from Fresh with Anna Olson.
- 40 minutes
- 1 hour 10 minutes
- 4 servings
- For Pastry:
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons to 10 tablespoonsp cold water as needed
- For Filling:
- 1½ cups diced, peeled potatoes
- 1+½ pounds ground pork, veal, beef or combination
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- ¾ teaspoon fine salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed celery seed
- Dash allspice
- Dash ground cloves
- 1 cup apple cider
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons (25ml) water for glazing
- For pastry, combine flour with salt.
- Cut in butter and shortening until mixture is a roughly even crumbly texture. Add lemon juice and water and blend just until dough comes together.
- Shape into a disc, wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- While pastry is chilling, prepare filling.
- Cook potatoes in an uncovered pot of salted water until tender and drain. Roughly mash potatoes and set aside to cool.
- In a large saute pan or skillet, saute beef, pork and/or veal over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain off excess fat, add onions and seasonings and saute until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add cider and water and bring up to a simmer. Let mixture simmer for about 15 minutes, until most of liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat, stir in potatoes and cool to room temperature. This can be prepared a day in advance.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. On a lightly floured surface, cut dough in half, roll out to just less than 1/4-inch (5cm) thickness and line an 8-inch (20cm) springform pan.
- Fill with tourtière filling. Roll out remaining dough, cut a hole in center (for steam to escape) and place on top of filling.
- Pinch edges of crust together and brush with eggwash.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until pastry is a rich golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes, then remove from pan and serve.
- Tourtière can be made up to 2 days in advance and reheated in a 300°F oven.
Share it with your friends.