Apple Blueberry Teacake
Enjoy a delicious cake for tea with this recipe by Justine Schofield from Everyday Gourmet!
- 1 hour 30 minutes
- 8 servings
- 3 apples
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 250 grams caster sugar
- 250 grams butter, cubed
- 250 grams self-raising flour
- 4 free-range eggs
- 1 punnet blueberries
- 2 tablespoons flaked almonds
- 1 tablespoon demerara sugar
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Double cream, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160° fan-forced). Grease and line the base and sides of a 23cm springform cake tin.
- Peel and core the apples and cut into wedges. Place in a medium bowl and toss with lemon juice, lemon zest and half the cinnamon. Set aside.
- Place 50gm sugar, butter, and flour in a bowl with the remaining cinnamon and rub together using your fingertips. Set aside.
- Melt remaining butter and set aside to cool slightly. Place eggs and remaining sugar in a large bowl and beat with an electric beater until light and fluffy. Add butter to egg mixture, sift in remaining flour, add blueberries and fold gently until combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared cake tin, top with apple slices and sprinkle with crumble mixture, flaked almonds and demerara sugar.
- Cook for 45 to 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool cake for 10 minutes in the tin then place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve dusted with icing sugar, and with double cream, if desired.
Share it with your friends.