Apple Butter Glazed Ham
Get this quick and easy apple butter glazed ham recipe by Chuck Hughes from Chuck's Day Off.
- 30 minutes
- 5 hours
- 1 serving
As seen on Chuck's Day Off
- Apple Butter:
- 2.27 kilograms of Macintosh apples, scrubbed and quartered (not peeled)
- 4 cups apple juice (1 l)
- 2 cups brown sugar (500 ml)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (5 ml)
- ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg (2 ml)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Glazed Ham:
- 4.54 kilograms ham
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic head, halved
- 1 cup apple butter (250 ml)
- ½ cup honey (125 ml)
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard (60 ml)
- 4 cups water (1 l)
- For the Apple Butter:
- In a large stockpot, combine the apples with the apple juice. Cook on low heat until the apples are tender, about 45 minutes. Remove from heat and pass through a fine sieve.
- Pour the puree back in the stockpot. Bring to a simmer and add the remaining ingredients; brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon juice.
- Cook on low heat for about 1 ½ hours until it’s reduced by half and thickens up, stirring regularly and skimming the surface if necessary. Remove from heat and let cool.
- For the Ham:
- Put the ham and the vegetables in a large stockpot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 2 hours. Drain and place into a roasting pan.
- Preheat oven at 350°F (180°C).
- In a bowl, combine apple butter, honey and Dijon mustard. Peel off the skin of the ham and brush it with apple butter mixture. Pour water in the bottom of the pan.
- Place in the oven and cook for 1 1/2 hours, making sure to baste it with sauce every 15 minutes during cooking process. Remove ham from grill and let sit for 10 minutes before carving.
- Cook’s Note:
- The apple butter is great on it’s own, with ice cream, yoghurt or for breakfast.
Share it with your friends.