Baja-style Fish Tacos
Every is Taco Tuesday with this recipe by Justine Schofield from Everyday Gourmet
- 45 minutes
- 4 servings
- 480 grams white fish, like flathead or flake cut into 5 cm pieces
- 1 cup plain flour + extra for dusting
- ½ cup rice flour
- 350 millilitres beer (may need a little more)
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1 tbs. of chipotle in adobe sauce
- ½ cup whole egg mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Juice of lime
- ¼ purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 French shallot, sliced
- ½ cucumber cut into rounds
- 4 sprigs of coriander, picked
- 1 jalapeno chilli, finely sliced
- 4 burrito tortillas
- Heat the oil in a large pot or wok. In a large bowl add the flours and salt. Make a well in the centre and start adding the beer. The consistency should be a little thinner than a pancake batter.
- Dust each piece of fish in the extra flour and then coat in batter, drain excess off and carefully place in the hot oil. You may need to do this is batches. Cook for 2-minutes or until golden brown. Drain on some paper towel. Season with some more salt.
- Combine the chipotle in adobe sauce, mayonnaise, honey and lime. Add the shredded cabbage, shallot and cucumber and toss together.
- Warm the tortilla wraps as per packet instructions. Divide the cabbage salad in the centre of each tortilla. Arrange a few pieces of fish and top with a few leaves of coriander and sliced chilli.
Share it with your friends.