Baked Snapper with Sweet Butter Soy
A red snapper with crispy skin and savory sauce by Martin Yan from Martin Yan Asian Favorites
- 25 minutes
- 45 minutes
- 6 servings
- 1 whole Red snapper, scaled and gutted (1.5.to 1.8kg)
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¾ teaspoon Black pepper
- 2 sprigs Cilantro
- ¼ cup Fish/Chicken stock + ½ teaspoon Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 50 grams unsalted Butter, cut into long thin strips
- 1 tablespoon Spring onion, sliced
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 3 stalks Green onion, halved
- 1 Red chili
- 2-inch Ginger, julienned
- 2-inch Ginger, sliced
- 2 teaspoons Corn-starch + 4 tsp Water
- GLAZE INGREDIENTS:
- 2 tablespoons Soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon Cooking caramel
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- GARNISH INGREDIENTS:
- 1 stalk Green onion, julienned
- 1 Red chili, sliced
- ¼ Carrot, julienned
- 1 tablespoon Fried shallots
- Preheat electric oven upper/lower heat to 200°C for 10 minutes.
- Get your whole fish and make 2 deep slits diagonally along the topside thickest part of the body, on both sides. Then make 3 slanted cuts in each side of the body.
- In each slanted cut, stuff in 1 butter strip and 1 ginger slice, then rub all over with salt and pepper.
- In the fish cavity, stuff butter, chili, cilantro, green onion and garlic.
- Lay out a bed of aluminium foil (it should be 4x the width of your fish and 2x the length). Centre the foil in a deep baking tray. Place the fish in the middle and pour in the fish sauce and fish stock, then wrap it up into a pouch, leaving a loose tent over the top for steam to collect.
- In a bowl, combine the glaze ingredients well.
- Bake the fish for 30 minutes at 200°C, then remove from oven, open the pouch and generously brush the glaze over the fish.
- Then increase only the upper heat to 230°C and bake for another 10 minutes.
- When done, open the pouch and dish out the fish to a serving plate. Pour the liquid from the pouch into a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Gradually pour in the corn-starch mixture until you’ve reach the desired consistency, it should not be too thick. Then pour at the sides of the serving plate, maintaining the top of the fish crispy.
- To serve, garnish with green onion, red chili, carrot and fried shallots.
Share it with your friends.