Banana Blossom Salad with Duck and Ginger
Try this quick and easy appetizer recipe from Martin Yan's Taste of Vietnam.
- 10 minutes
- 10 minutes
- 4 servings
- ¼ cup Coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon Lime juice
- 2 teaspoons Fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons Rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Chilli sauce
- 1+½ teaspoons Sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced Garlic
- 6 thin slices Ginger, julienned
- 1 young Banana blossom, julienned
- 2 cups Iced water
- ¼ cup Lemon juice
- 1 cooked Duck breast (about 8 ounces),shredded
- 1 tablespoon fried Shallots
- 1 tablespoon chopped Cilantro
- 1 small fresh Red chilli,thinly sliced
- Vietnamese Sorrel (rau thom)
- Vietnamese Mint (rau ram)
- Combine dressing ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Set aside
- Place banana blossom into an iced water and lemon juice bath; soak until ready to use.
- Drain banana blossom well and combine with duck in a large bowl. Add dressing and toss.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Sprinkle with shallots, cilantro, Chilli and Vietnamese sorrel and mint; serve immediately
- To prepare the banana blossom, cut a bit of the stem off. Carefully peel off a few of the outer petals, which are too tough for salad, but make an attractive serving bowl
- If using raw duck breast, pan-fry, meat-side down, for 10 minutes on low heat. Turn duck over and cook until done,10 to 12 more minutes. Cool before shredding
Share it with your friends.