Banana Fritters with Coconut and Honey
A crispy banana dessert by Justine Schofield from Everyday Gourmet
- 60 minutes
- 100 millilitres milk, warm
- 1 sachet of instant yeast
- 200 grams plain flour
- 20 grams butter, melted
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 2 tbs. caster sugar
- Pinch salt
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- Vegetable oil for shallow frying
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut
- Crème fraiche to serve
- Activate the yeast in the warm milk. In a bowl combine the flour with butter, egg, cinnamon, vanilla, sugar and salt. Combine and then add the yeast. Mix the batter for 5 minutes until sticky. Now add the banana and fold through. Cover and leave to prove for 30 minutes in a warm spot of the kitchen so it doubles in size. Know knock back the dough by mixing with a spoon.
- Fill a pan ½ way up with oil. Using 2 spoons place dollops of the dough into the oil and fry for 2 minutes until golden all over. Place on paper towelling to drain. You may need to do these in batches.
Heat honey with the coconut. Dip the fritters into the coconut honey to coat and serve with crème fraiche.
Share it with your friends.