Banofee Chocolate Pavlova
Get this quick and easy dessert recipe by Sarah Benjamin from Cooking For Love.
- 20 minutes
- 2 hours 30 minutes
- 1 serving
As seen on Cooking for Love
- Chocolate Meringue:
- 6 Egg whites, cold from the fridge
- 300 grams Caster Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 80 grams Dark Chocolate, very finely chopped
- 1 Lemon slice
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- Salted Caramel Sauce:
- 175 grams Light Brown Sugar
- 300 millilitres Whipping cream
- 50 grams Butter
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 400 millilitres Thickened Cream
- 3 - 4 Bananas, sliced
- ¼ teaspoon flaky Sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- To make the meringue base, rub a mixing bowl or the bowl of a hand mixer with a slice of lemon.
- Add the egg whites and whisk with an electric hand mixer or stand mixer until it holds soft peaks. With the mixer on medium speed, gradually add the sugar in.
- Add salt into the mixture, then whisk some more for about 5-10 minutes, or until the meringue mixture turns glossy and stiff.
- Sift the cocoa powder over the top of the meringue and add the grated chocolate. Using a rubber spatula, fold in gently until chocolate is evenly distributed. Be sure to scrape along the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper or a silicone baking mat and drop dollops of meringue into a 23cm circle. Form into a circle of meringue, making swirls with the spoon on the top rather than flattening to a neat tidy disc – as those peaks will turn into crunchy bits!
- Put the meringue in the oven, immediately turning the heat down to 100°C. Bake for 2 hours 30 minutes or until it’s firm and crispy on the outside.
- Turn off oven and leave pavlova to gradually cool down in the oven with the door opened.
- To make the Salted Caramel Sauce, combine all the ingredients in a saucepan over a low heat and stir until sugar has dissolved, then turn the heat up to medium, and cook for 3-5 minutes, until thick and syrupy. Set aside to cool.
- When ready to assemble, place the meringue on a serving plate.
- Whip the double cream until thick and fluffy, and spoon it on top of the meringue.
- Drizzle the Salted Caramel Sauce over the whipped cream, allowing it to trickle down the sides a little. Top with sliced bananas and an extra sprinkling of sea salt.
Share it with your friends.