Tender and juicy braised beef and potatoes in a rich savory sauce by Martin Yan from Martin Yan Asian Favorites
- 20 minutes
- 20 minutes
- 6 servings
- CUTLET INGREDIENTS:
- 500 grams Beef, cut into bite sized chunks
- ½ Red onion
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1-inch, Ginger
- 1 whole Egg
- 1 tablespoon Oyster sauce
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons Corn-starch
- 4 tablespoons Vegetable oil – to frying cutlets
- 2 cups Vegetable oil – to shallow fry potatoes (add more oil if needed)
- VEGETABLE INGREDIENTS:
- 1 medium Red onion, cut into 0.5 centimeter rings
- 1 large Potato, par-boiled, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 large Tomato, quartered
- 2 tablespoons All Purpose Flour + 4 tbsp Chicken/Beef stock
- 50 grams Green peas
- 1-inch Ginger, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon Goji berry, soaking in 3 tbsp Water
- 300 milliliters Chicken/Beef stock
- 1 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Pinch of 5 spice powder
- 1 stalk fresh Basil – garnish
- Use the food processor’s chop mode to finely mince onion, garlic and ginger.
- Then switch to mince mode, and add in the beef chunks. Mince until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Transfer the beef mix into a large mixing bowl, then add in the egg, oyster sauce, chili flakes, salt, pepper, 2 tbs of oil and corn-starch. Use your hands to give it a good mix.
- Make sure both your hands are oiled before shaping the beef into 6 patties.
- Heat up oil in a frying pan over medium heat, then add in all the cutlets, flipping the cutlets after 1- 1.5 minutes. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate when they are seared golden brown but still juicy inside.
- In a separate shallow pan or saucepan, heat enough oil to shallow fry the potato wedges. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate when crispy and brown.
- Using the same pan to fry the cutlets, add in 2 more tbs of oil. Then toss in onion rings, green peas and ginger till fragrant.
- Then add in the broth, soy sauce, pepper, sugar, salt, five spice powder, goji berry juice and half the soaked goji berries. Let it simmer.
- Then add in the potatoes and beef cutlets, allowing it to braise over a gentle simmer for a few minutes.
- To serve, first dish out all the vegetables and potatoes. Then lay the beef cutlets over the vegetables and pouring all of the sauce.
- Garnish with goji berries and fresh basil.
Share it with your friends.